I overheard someone say this inside a coffee shop last week and it’s been reverberating in my head since—
I don’t want to work for a boss, I want to work with a leader.
And don’t we all, want to work for someone who can lead us rather than boss us around?
The thing is, when someone is a great leader, we just love having him as our boss. Right? We naturally look up to him and want to see his business succeed. We are inspired to come to work every day, get things done, and make our boss look good.
It’s a win-win scenario when someone exudes great leadership skills—he achieves his business goals efficiently while making others feel accomplished as well.
Here are some good reads about leadership that we’ve seen around this week:
This one talks about how business and personal growth is invariably affected by leadership, and lists down 4 signs of a great leader: extraordinary time management, non-stop coordination, unlimited training opportunity, and job delegation. Good read for leaders and aspiring leaders alike.
Sometimes you wonder whether “technical” and “leader” can really go together. Technical guys are usually stereotyped as people who like being left to their codes and spreadsheets, yeah? However, effective leaders are born from this special kind of species because these are the guys who have great attention to detail and greater understanding of how things work. Check out what makes a great Tech Lead from this post.
This author makes a strong point that great leadership is often seen when the catalyst is not the coach, but a team player who sets the tone for how to behave as a teammate. It’s the kind of leadership “that doesn’t come from the management, but from within the team itself.” These role models provide focus and inspiration to the rest of the team, resulting in more solid and tangible results.
Spiralytics team, take note!
This article discusses leadership qualities that we can develop TODAY, not tomorrow, or not someday when we’ve climbed up the corporate ladder. We are, after all, leaders in our own way when we influence someone. A timely reminder, indeed.
Also Read: Mastering Blogging & Thought Leadership
Our personal favorites:
- “Our chief want is someone who will inspire us to be what we know we could be.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” – President John Quincy Adams
- “As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower others.” – Bill Gates
- “In the simplest terms, a leader is one who knows where he wants to go, and gets up and goes.” – John Erskine
- “Before you are a leader, success is all about growing yourself. When you become a leader, success is all about growing others.” – Jack Welch
- “A good leader takes a little more than his share of the blame, a little less than his share of the credit.” – Arnold Glasow
- “The challenge of leadership is to be strong, but not rude; be kind, but not weak; be bold, but not bully; be thoughtful, but not lazy; be humble, but not timid; be proud, but not arrogant; have humor, but without folly.” – Jim Rohn
- “You manage things; you lead people.” – Grace Murray Hopper
* * *
Here at Spiralytics, we know a great leader when we see one because we happen to interact with one at work every day!
And so, to end this post we just want to give a massive shout out to Spiralytics’ big cheese, who decided to schedule a business trip on his birthday weekend no less, because that’s just how passionate and dedicated he is in building a company that is renowened not just in the Philippines but also as a digital marketing agency in Nottingham, UK and USA.
Happy birthday Jimmy Cassells!
Thank you for being a great leader, and for inspiring us to strive to be awesome too.
We didn’t buy you a gift! Instead, we want to honor and acknowledge you in this blog space, for the great things you’ve invested your life, time, sweat and blood in, without which Spiralytics wouldn’t be what it is today.
(Just kidding, your gift awaits your return.)
We know you miss celebrating your birthday with us, but we hope you’re having a great one anyway. Happy birthday!
With love from your Spiralytics fambam
P.S. Hey Jimmy, read the comments! 🙂